- 1 Which of the following would be the best selection to provide good source of calcium in the diet?
- 2 Is the bioavailability of calcium in calcium-fortified orange juice comparable to that of milk?
- 3 Which of the following impairs iron absorption?
- 4 Which of the following makes up about 60 percent of the body’s weight group of answer choices?
- 5 What foods block calcium absorption?
- 6 What has more calcium than milk?
- 7 Does your body absorb the calcium in milk?
- 8 Is calcium in almond milk easily absorbed?
- 9 Do Almonds prevent calcium absorption?
- 10 What causes iron malabsorption?
- 11 What foods block iron absorption?
- 12 What drink is high in iron?
- 13 What 3 vitamins are manufactured by the body?
- 14 What is the most important nutrient?
- 15 What are the 6 nutrients?
Which of the following would be the best selection to provide good source of calcium in the diet?
The best sources of calcium are dairy products, including milk, yogurt, cheese, and calcium -fortified beverages such as almond and soy milk. Calcium is also found in dark-green leafy vegetables, dried peas and beans, fish with bones, and calcium -fortified juices and cereals.
Is the bioavailability of calcium in calcium-fortified orange juice comparable to that of milk?
Results: Postprandial suppression of serum parathyroid hormone did not differ significantly between the test meals containing calcium – fortified orange juice, the calcium carbonate supplement, and milk. This finding suggests that the calcium bioavailability from the 3 sources was equivalent.
Which of the following impairs iron absorption?
Calcium (like iron ) is an essential mineral, which means the body gets this nutrient from diet. Calcium is found in foods such as milk, yogurt, cheese, sardines, canned salmon, tofu, broccoli, almonds, figs, turnip greens and rhubarb and is the only known substance to inhibit absorption of both non-heme and heme iron.
Which of the following makes up about 60 percent of the body’s weight group of answer choices?
Water makes up about 50 to 70 percent of body weight, approximately 60 percent in healthy adults and an even higher percentage in children.
What foods block calcium absorption?
Other components in food: phytic acid and oxalic acid, found naturally in some plants, bind to calcium and can inhibit its absorption. Foods with high levels of oxalic acid include spinach, collard greens, sweet potatoes, rhubarb, and beans.
What has more calcium than milk?
1. Green vegetables. Kale has around 250 milligrams (mg) of calcium per 100g, which is comparatively higher than whole milk’s 110mg per 100g. Some other green veg, including collard greens, are good sources of calcium, too.
Does your body absorb the calcium in milk?
*Bioavailability of calcium For example, dairy foods have a bioavailablity of about 30% absorption so if a food label on milk lists 300 mg of calcium per cup, about 100 mg will be absorbed and used by the body.
Is calcium in almond milk easily absorbed?
Unlike cow’s milk, almond milk is not naturally high in calcium and there is evidence to suggest the added calcium in plant-based milks is not absorbed as well as the calcium found in cow’s milks.
Do Almonds prevent calcium absorption?
A. Almonds contain calcium in significant amounts, but by government definition, they do not provide enough per serving to qualify as a good source, and some of it may be chemically blocked from absorption.
What causes iron malabsorption?
Malabsorption of iron is common after some forms of gastrointestinal surgeries. Most of the iron taken in by foods is absorbed in the upper small intestine. Any abnormalities in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract could alter iron absorption and result in iron – deficiency anemia.
What foods block iron absorption?
The following foods can interfere with iron absorption:
- tea and coffee.
- milk and some dairy products.
- whole-grain cereals.
- foods that contain tannins, such as grapes, corn, and sorghum.
- foods rich in gluten, such as pasta and other products made with wheat, barley, rye, or oats.
What drink is high in iron?
Prune juice is made from dried plums, or prunes, which contain many nutrients that can contribute to good health. Prunes are a good source of energy, and they don’t cause a rapid hike in blood sugar levels. Half cup of prune juice contains 3 mg or 17 per cent iron.
What 3 vitamins are manufactured by the body?
The human body can produce vitamin D and vitamin K. Vitamin K is a vitamin that acts in the liver, affecting the manufacture of the substances that makes the blood.
What is the most important nutrient?
Water is the Most Important Nutrient.
What are the 6 nutrients?
There are six major nutrients: Carbohydrates (CHO), Lipids (fats), Proteins, Vitamins, Minerals, Water.